We all have a stake in the success of Pitt. As an economic driver and innovation engine, the University of Pittsburgh makes a significant contribution to the state’s economy while delivering a world-class education to students. The 2018 Economic Impact report reflects the role of the University of Pittsburgh in driving the economy as well as a talent cultivator, community connector, and career builder. View the entire report here.
Driving the Pennsylvania Economy
- Pitt's economic impact is $4.2 billion annually.
- $26 is returned to the state for every $1 invested in Pitt
- Pitt returns $184 million in tax revenue to state and local government
- The University, our faculty, staff, students, and visitors spend a combined $1.7 billion on businesses in Pennsylvania.
- Pitt attracts more than $808 million in external research funding to Western Pennsylvania
- Pitt is ranked top 5 in NIH research support
- A record 23 startup companies were formed in 2018 through innovation at Pitt
- Total impact o Pitt's research activity is $1.7 billion
- 8, 683 jobs are supported Pitt's research activity
- Pitt is a top producer of Fulbright grant recipients, Rhodes scholars, and Truman Scholarship winners
- 181,000 Pitt alumni are based in Pennsylvania
- Pitt alumni contribute $114.3 billion additional income to the state over their careers
- Pitt is one of the largest employers in teh state of Pennsylvania, accounting for 1 out of every 161 jobs in the Commonwealth
- 37,822 jobs are supported by Pitt across PA
- 18,416 people are directly employed across Pitt's five campuses
Access and Affordability
The University of Pittsburgh admits students with academic and personal promise without consideration of ability to pay. Working together with families, we find ways to help make a Pitt education a reality. Through innovative programs, Pitt is increasing access to higher education while working proactively to provide affordable options to all students. The top programs are highlighted below. Read the full details here or visit affordability.pitt.edu.