We all have a stake in the success of Pitt. As an economic driver and innovation engine, the University of Pittsburgh makes a significant contribution to the state’s economy while delivering a world-class education to students. The 2018 Economic Impact report reflects the role of the University of Pittsburgh in driving the economy as well as a talent cultivator, community connector, and career builder. View the entire report here.
Driving the Pennsylvania Economy
- Pitt's economic impact is $4.2 billion annually.
- $26 is returned to the state for every $1 invested in Pitt
- Pitt returns $184 million in tax revenue to state and local government
- The University, our faculty, staff, students, and visitors spend a combined $1.7 billion on businesses in Pennsylvania.
- Pitt attracts more than $808 million in external research funding to Western Pennsylvania
- Pitt is ranked top 5 in NIH research support
- A record 23 startup companies were formed in 2018 through innovation at Pitt
- Total impact o Pitt's research activity is $1.7 billion
- 8, 683 jobs are supported Pitt's research activity
- Pitt is a top producer of Fulbright grant recipients, Rhodes scholars, and Truman Scholarship winners
- 181,000 Pitt alumni are based in Pennsylvania
- Pitt alumni contribute $114.3 billion additional income to the state over their careers
- Pitt is one of the largest employers in teh state of Pennsylvania, accounting for 1 out of every 161 jobs in the Commonwealth
- 37,822 jobs are supported by Pitt across PA
- 18,416 people are directly employed across Pitt's five campuse